We cannot trivialise on issue of potholes on our roads! – KCCA’s Kisaka speaks out

We cannot trivialise on issue of potholes on our roads! – KCCA’s Kisaka speaks out

By Our Reporter
Kampala – The executive director Kampala Capital Authority, Dorothy Kisaka has called upon Kampala residents to keep calm as the Authority works around the crock to address the issue of potholes despite financial constraints.
Kisaka made the remarks while speaking to journalists on Tuesday from the City Hall in Kampala.
     KCCA ongoing road rehabilitation works. Courtesy photo
She also informed citizens that the Authority cannot trivialise the issue of potholes on roads because KCCA is aware that potholes drive up road user costs through frequent vehicle repairs, long travel times, high accident rates, and others
 She notified the city residents that KCCA routinely monitors and collects data on the state of the city roads through the road condition surveys.
By December 2022, KCCA had recorded an area of 8,500 square meters of potholes, spread across the five divisions.
According to Kisaka, in December 2022, KCCA started to work on the potholes in earnest with the funding that was available. The intervention covered 37 roads in five divisions Kampala city divisions. She also enumerated another 31 roads which are in perfect condition.
The city boss however, said in this final quarter of the financial year, 2022-23, government released the development budget that had been withheld in past quarters. Adding that, the fixing of the roads is going to commence using the funds availed and cover the potholes as much as the funds can.
She reminded the public that the city has a total road network of 2,100km, of which only 30% are paved while the rest (70%) are unpaved or earth roads.
“It is worth noting that most of our paved roads have served far beyond their full lifespan of twenty years and are due for overhaul or reconstruction, which explains the high prevalence of potholes and other road damages,” Kisaka said.
She added the situation has not been helped by the increased traffic levels on the roads which in turn causes increased wear and tear.
Kisaka also explained that KCCA plans major reconstruction works to rid the city of the offensive potholes. The roads will cover the five divisions of Kampala, approximately 69km.
The reconstruction will cover 41 roads including the notorious Salama road, the industrial area roads, Sir Apollo Kaggwa road and Kiteezi road. More so, works have already begun on the old Mubende road in Lubaga division.
She decried the undeniable presence of potholes and the inconvenience to road users but also pointed out that Kampala city has 31 roads that are in perfect condition, without a pothole.
These are fairly new roads as opposed to the roads that have outlived their life span of twenty years or more. Notable ones among the new roads are; John Babiha road starting at Fairway Hotel round about to old Kira Road, then the Ntinda-Stretcher road and the Kabusu-Bunamuwaya-Lweza road.
Among other roads are; Upper Kololo Archer road, Luzige road, Mpabaana, Ntinda I, Ntinda II, Mutugo Tank Hill, Naguru Close, Kabalega Road, National Water Roads and Kawuku road, Bukasa ring road, Kevina, Apaas,Juke, Nsambya Katwe road, Mutundwe road, Kabusu road, Mufunya road, Kitunzi road, Nabulagala road, Nalukolongo road, Kalinda road.
Others are Lubiri ring road, Bawalakata road, John Babiha (Acacia) Avenue, Nakawa-Ntinda road, Windsor Crescent, Factory Lane, Enterprise road, Lukuli road, Kulambiro ring road, Najjera link.
The executive director also noted that, they are working tirelessly with the various budget stakeholders to ensure that the current situation does not persist longer than it already has so that everyone can enjoy smooth roads in a flood-free city.

Related post

Gen. Muhoozi meets KCCA’s Kisaka after brief tour of Kampala dilapidated roads

Gen. Muhoozi meets KCCA’s Kisaka after brief tour of…

By WN Admin  Kampala – Senior presidential advisor on special operations, Gen. Muhoozi Kainerugaba on wednesday toured Kampala city roads to…
Nakawa East legislator Balimwezo appointed as KCCA head of roads committee

Nakawa East legislator Balimwezo appointed as KCCA head of…

By Evans Najuna  Kampala – Nakawa East legislator Eng. Ronald Nsubuga Balimwezo has been unanimously vetted as the chairperson of KCCA…
NWSC boss Mugisha raps government institutions with huge bills, threatens to cut them off

NWSC boss Mugisha raps government institutions with huge bills,…

By Our Reporter Kampala – The Managing Director of National Water and Sewerage Cooperation Eng. Silver Mugisha has broken the silence…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *